Monday, December 7, 2009

Superstar Cycle of Photos - Paparazzi Cursade

There is an ongoing crusade of fans trying to change the Paparazzi laws to protect & respect Robert Pattinson.

I understand these efforts, I support those who lead these efforts, but having experienced "Vancouver Robert Pattinson" and "Paparazzi Vancouver" firsthand, I have a slightly different perspective. I would be a hypocrit if I tried to go pap-free... which is why I am not going to... but I have no ill-wil towards those doing it, in fact, I think it is fabulous... but I just couldn't do it... Here are my thoughts and reasoning... I hope you understand....

This is a tad repeatitive over things I have said here & there over the past 6+ months but it is on my mind and I wanted to get it all out in one spot.

During New Moon filming, and you can go back and read my posts from March to May of this year, I was new to this whole scene and amazed at how easy it was to get to a set.

We literally drove or walked right by and saw stars. With a bit of time and talk with the security (who would assess your crazy-level) you could wait and (provided you weren't crazy) cast would come out, or stop when they drove by. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget!

There were daily photos on LaineyGossip.com of the cast going about their daily routines. Often Waving, Smiling, Walking down the street otherwise unbothered.

It worked well.

The Superstar Cycle of photos worked....

  • Stars got a nice photo taken and published
  • Paparazzi got paid
  • Fans got to see what they fave cast memeber was up to

    ..... to me this is a triple crown win. But it is rare.....

    Back then, when things seemed to work, Taylor Lautner had so many photos taken. During New Moon the photos really helped skyrocket and promote him as there were next to no photos of him before that besides the few from Twilight and Shark Boy - ha!

    This promotion and photo-overload (along with his Selena Gomez "thing") was what he needed to help push him into the spotlight and boost his fame up a notch in preparation for New Moon and Jacob Black's bigger role.

    New Moon went well as far as the Superstar Cycle of Photos

    The couple months between New Moon and Eclipse filming in Vancouver I began to fully realize the fame these actors had achieved.

    While I knew they were "famous" when they were here, it somehow felt different since I had met them and been a part of it all. I was not the online fangirl craving more, I was the online blogger posting more.

    Italy filming showed me just how huge these guys were and I became the online fan girl, craving blogs, photos, videos and news of what was happening with my fave actors and the creation of "my" movie.

    As fans we all connect and it becomes a piece of who we are, when it was filming here I didn't crave those photos or videos because I would just drive down to set and wait and hope.

    So New Moon was done and Rob went to NYC to do Remember Me and Kristen went to L.A. to do The Runaways and it was clear what people's "issues" with paparazzi were.

    I kept saying to myself "thank god it wasn't like that here"

    During New Moon there was essentially one or two guys snapping their photos and then leaving the cast alone. In L.A. and NYC there were chases and mobs and craziness....dozens of papz flashing and fighting for their own exclusive money-maker shot. I was proud to live in a city that didn't behave that way.

    Of course, once Eclipse started, that changed.

    Now 20+ paparazzi came from L.A. and the competition to get photos became intense. The primary cast was forced into lockdown and no one was getting photos.

    L.A. paparazzi slowly faded back to L.A as there was no money to be made off superstars who never left their hotel room.

    The Superstar Cycle of Photos was broken.

    I did feel bad for the cast being cooped up, I did feel sad for the fans getting no photos or sightings, but I understood the reason and I dealt with it.

    As the number of paparazzi decreased and the irritation of the cast increased, more outings were had. Rob and Kristen, along with other cast, were spotted out and about on occasion and the paparazzi who were still here were always the first to know then when and where of the cast (usually by following them from a hotel, but sometimes from their "inside sources" which I believe included people in the hotel, resturants, set crew and even the stars own "team" - how else could they find out so much detail about the nights plans?)

    The change between New Moon & Eclipse was astonishing.

    The number of paparazzi, the number of fans from around the world, the amount of security, the stress on everyone... not fun!

    The bottom line is that these guys are superstars now and sadly part of that is a massive fandom that wants photos and paparazzi who will make a lot of money on getting those photos. The Superstar Cycle of Photos is in action and there is nothing we can do stop it - but we can alter it.

    At the Bobby Long Concert in Vancouver, Rob, Kristen, Nikki, Liz and more spent the entire evening enjoying a show from a private area by themselves. It was near the bathrooms, entrance and bank machine... they had some longing looks from fans who walked by (repeatedly) but they were not disturbed, they were not mobbed, fans respected them, paparazzi waited outside.

    When it was time to go the security came outside the back door several times, even through the front door where paparazzi was and WALKING to the spot they planned to bring the cast out of... leading paparazzi right to where they needed to be... then they pulled taxi's in and then they backed them up and then they waited.... it was such an obvious lengthy procedure it seems impossible it wasn't planned in order to ensure every pap was ready ....

    Then when Rob & Kristen came out they were led into the 2nd taxi, which meant they had to WAIT for the rest of the cast to come out and get into the 1st taxi before they could pull away.... um - SERIOUSLY? What is wrong with that planning?

    I truly believe it is done in such a way that they optimize photos in the least amount of time... it was 40 seconds of photos after an entire evening out.... I dunno just me?

    In regards to Rob the other night at Marcus' Show: (you can See video here)

    I still think if Rob had let them get a few photos, then said "that's enough guys, goodnight" it would be better.... sure there will be papz who keep going - THEN I would hate them and be pissed off - THEN I would fight to change laws against them and join the crusade.....

    but, right now I just feel like it's a vicious cycle of fans wants, paparazzi's jobs, stars publicity.....

    There are ways to avoid the paparazzi - there are ways trust me - I have seen it happen... granted sometimes there is no choice, but there are people who plan the casts lives for them.... choosing locations with multiple exits or vehicles in place would be a good idea when possible ..... avoiding going out into a crowd of paparazzi ... having the doors UNLOCKED TO AVOID STANDING IN A CIRCLE OF PAPARAZZI!!!!!!!

    Seriously!!!!!!!!!

    It's common sense and planning and when stuff like that happens it makes me call b.s. on the publicists and the "people" who are supposed to take care of the stars such as Rob.... Why was the passenger side window OPEN? and why did it stay open so long? Why were the boys laughing if they were in such alleged distress?

    There is no way when leaving a hotel that a superstar being "mobbed" by papz should have to leave the front door, walk down a long hallway to a locked door, wait while someone goes around to unlock that damn door and also enter into a car with open windows that is crowded by papz...

    Furthermore, paparazzi who stand in front of a moving vehicle - well - that's there stupidity - I would deffo pass a law stating it was ok to run them over! LMAO!

    **end Rant**


    Sorry - I just become so frustrated with this Superstar Cycle of Photos.... There has to be a way to make it work best for all - it will never be perfect, this is an imperfect world and we are greedy fans provided photos by greedy paparazzi and the superstars either have to have a miserable locked up life or face the craziness from time to time - this will not last forever, we may always love Twilight but the next big thing will come around.... Brangelina have found a way - so will the Twilight Cast....

    I am sorry if this pisses people off, it's just how I feel... I would NOT want to live their lives, but I don't have to.... I am not saying they signed on for this but it happened and they just have to ride with it and as fans you have to make decisions that you can live with.

  • I do not buy any magazines... I do look at scans online.

  • I post whatever I feel like with my opinion of if I agree, disagree, support or not. I feel like with trash, it's better to post it myself then feed hits to trashy websites. I prefer posting the pic or video myself then saying why I think it's wrong... that's ok with me.

  • I state my opinions over all the rumours, gossip, b.s. That is why I blog, to rant, vent, report on what is goingon and how I feel about it... otherwise you could go to any site to read the same stuff.

    The Superstar Cycle of Photos is my theory on this whole situation - if you have a solution to stop it - feel free to comment, but in my eyes it is unstoppable there are too many fans and the supply & demand is too high right now... make your own decisions and choices to try to alter or improve this cycle, or don't bitch about it.

    It's easy to say "Poor Rob" but if you go and buy the magazines or look at the photos or whatever while saying "stop the maddness Rob deserves a life of his own" then you are simply a hypocrit non?

    From Twilight to now everything has changed.


    Almost unknown actors have skyrocketed into an unfathomable position of fame. We love them, we want to see them, but we need to be smart about it - we need to somehow make this Superstar Cycle of Photos work like it did during New Moon filming in Vancouver.

    Thanks for Reading.
    Mandy
  • 6 comments:

    sabatonk said...

    Yup, as I suspected, we agree. Largely. I think this #RespectRob campaign is goofy. First off, we should respect EVERYONE. Duh. And yeah, I do believe some of the ppl 'respecting Rob' are still checking out photos & videos of him. Hypocritical. And, POOR ROB?!?! wtf? Gosh, that must be SO TOUGH having someone try to take your photo all the time. Please. Tough is dying of hunger/cancer/terminal disease. Not to say it's a cake-walk to be famous, but it's not the end of the world either. I think it's a new thing for ppl to get up-in-arms over to amuse themselves during Drought-cember. imo. That's all for now - shutting up.

    Anonymous said...

    Exactly! Nothing more to say.. I agree with you 100%. xoxo

    QuiltNut Creations said...

    i watched one of Rob's interviews recently from the New Moon publicity tour and he stated the Twilight filming in Portland was way worse than the filming here for New Moon and Eclipse. they'll adjust. and i do agree with you; it does seem to be a lot of poor planning

    Unknown said...

    Stephanie Ritz had her passenger window OPEN! There is no way that was not done on purpose. It's all publicity.

    Anonymous said...

    You did it with class Mandy, never twetted locations that I can remeber, these LA paps are relentless, unprofessional and have no class, they will do what ever to get that shot.

    Feds said...

    Mandy you write a very good blogpost...damn it it was awesome....even if a give a pics for the tor project i can't desagree with you....you are great....and you remember all the details of every pap pics....and this make me think the exactly thing that you write...thanks as always for sharing