Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Vanity Fair Young Hollywood too skinny, too white...


Twilight Lexicon posted this:

Vanity Fair’s new cover features one of their regular pieces that they have been doing for a number of years: a piece on rising female talent in Young Hollywood. This year it has drawn fire because of it’s utter lack of diversity for the second year running.

No one is discounting the talent of the actresses involved in the cover or accusing them of anything inappropriate, but Hollywood insiders are wondering where other names are. Yahoo’s shine stated, “Every woman on its new cover is extremely thin and very, very white. Unless Vanity Fair considers one redhead to be diversity, we feel the need to cry foul.” EW has a pole asking which of the lot will be remembered in 10 years. Currently Anna and Kristen are doing very well in that pole.

Rope of Silicon says:

Zoe Saldana, Gabourey Sidibe or perhaps even Freida Pinto are names most people will shout from the rooftops, "What about women of color?!?!?"

In all honesty, of the group the only names I see as truly belonging are Cornish, Mulligan, Hall, Wasikowska and Kendrick, the others are just filler or have already been featured on such lists for some time now. Stewart and Seyfried were featured on a Vanity Fair cover labeling "Hollywood's Next Wave" in August 2008 so I have a hard time considering them "new" Hollywood. Of course, Saldana was featured in the 2008 issue so I guess there are "outs" everywhere.


Mandy's Mind - It's funny I didn't even realize they were indeed all thin and white. I just looked at them as young actresses... Who else would you have included if you were choosing? Any you would have not included?


My thoughts.... Stewart, Kendrick, Wasikowska, are all correct with out a doubt... Emma Stone I really like, but haven't seen anything "amazing" mostly comedies which I like enough.... Then there is Mulligan, Seyfried and Hall, who I haven't seen a lot of so I am indifferent to them. [Though I am going to see Dear John tonight]

Evan Rachel Wood has been around for a long time non? I wouldn't have included her.... and is it just me or - is she almost unrecognizable? She looks - different.... and while on a random brain wander... remember Leelee Sobieski... I always expected her to go big... but she has kind of just faded eh? Must be that voice... gah!


Who to add?


I'd say...Gabourey Sidibe, Emily Blunt, Frieda Pinto, Emily Browning, Saoirse Ronan, Romola Garai and if we are going really young Abigail Breslin

Who would you add? Remove?


1 comment:

pamj said...

I would have to add Zoe Saldana. She starred in two of the highest grossing movies of the year, and she always gives a strong performance.