Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Editor for Eclipse.. What does this mean?


EW Reports:

Summit Entertainment, the studio behind the uber-successful Twilight series, confirmed this morning that it has replaced Eclipse editor Art Jones with Nancy Richardson, the editor of Catherine Hardwicke’s original Twilight film. The studio is not placing blame on Jones, who previously worked with 30 Days of Night as well as Slade’s Ellen Page-starrer Hard Candy. They do believe, however, that Slade’s material – which they call “very good” – needed a stronger edit. The studio has more confidence in Richardson, who they say understands the emotion of the characters and
is an ace at balancing action with the other elements of the film. director David Slade on his horror film.

Richardson recently completed Miley Cyrus’ upcoming romantic drama The Last Song. Eclipse is scheduled to debut on June 30.

Mandy's Mind -

This is likely why we haven't had any trailers, teasers, clips, anything... and quite frankly it scares me to think that at this stage in the game, Summit decides to basically scrap what's been done and essentially start editing from scratch....

Because David Slade and his editor who have both done wonderfully together on horror movies haven't captured the essence of the love story enough?

Too much action? We've seen the kisses and the lovey-eyes in the meadow... we've also (well, those of us who aren't "saving ourselves") read the script, seen the stills, watched live filming....

I can't see it being SO BAD they had to switch editors, but I suppose it just was "too far off" of what they had in mind... Damn Summit... They better not mess this up!!!

I want the action with the romance... not too sappy... if we get a film that is like those 4 seconds of Alice's vision in New Moon (you know the scene, bad clothes, Bella's a vampire, her and Edward frolick in the woods.... SAPPY) I will be pissed!

New borns.... Blood... Fights... ACTION... and yes, kissing too.... *sigh*

What does this all mean? Starting from Scratch? Do they have time?

Let's consider the timeline's we know.... New Moon was FILMED March - May and had a completed director's cut before Eclipse Filming wrapped end of October, so about 5 months post-production.

Now, Eclipse FILMED August - October and we are at over 4 months since it wrapped and haven't had ANYTHING except a few "illegal" stills and now news that there is a new editor... what?

The good news is that while New Moon had 5 months of post-prod and came out about 6 months after it wrapped filming.... Eclipse will have had a total of 8 months before it is released, so even if they were starting from scratch now (which essentially they could be, though I doubt entirely) there are 4 months before the release....

At this time in New Moon production we had lot's of goodies and with Eclipsse we have nothing so far... plus switching Editors (to me) seems to be saying David Slade's choice wasn't good enough and it takes away from his creation.... Some may argue "SUmmit knows what they are doing, maybe they are saving the film" but I don't know....

I'm not entirely thrilled with this news, it worries me, but let's just wait and see what happens... I'd be interested in other's view points.... Feel free to Comment.

PS - Richardson recently completing Miley Cyrus’ upcoming romantic drama The Last Song DOES NOT set my mind at ease..... nor the fact that she worked on Twilight to be honest.... *hides*

**Update** Last night twitter was going crazy with news (gossip) that Eclipse's timeline was being pushed back... while this seemed possible based on the new editor the rumour (FALSE RUMOUR BY THE WAY) started because of a glitch in the Twilight Phone Ap. Calendar which had the Eclipse timeline/countdown removed temporarily... that being said IF the release date was pushed back it wouldn't be done yet, it would be the last possible solution and avoided at all costs.... so - to be clear, JUNE 30 IS STILL THE PROPOSED RELEASE FOR ECLIPSE!

Lauren from Twilight Facebook called Summit and here is what they said:

"The 'Eclipse' date has not been changed and will still debut on June 30th as planned. All rumors are false."

[Source]

12 comments:

pamj said...

I agree, Mandy. I loved Twilight, but it wasn't that well edited.(I mean, they left in the "butt crack santa???)
I am concerned. Summit knows this isn't rocket science, and they don't have to provide an Oscar contender. They must have had some significant concerns or disputes to re-edit. Argghh!

Anonymous said...

You are not the only one, my dear... MANY did not like the editing for Twilight. You make some wonderful points {but of course}

Anonymous said...

My view is I will agree with Summit, if David Slade went toooooo overboard! I mean too 30 Days of Night on us! YES, I TOO want action, but I don't want it to stray that FAR, know what I mean? And we really ACTUALLY don't know when this change took place. Just because we are just now hearing about it doesn't mean it didn't take place before we saw the last group of LEAKED stills! Those last group of leaked stills could have been the work of the new editor! If you all remember several weeks back David Slade tweeted that he was ADDING MORE EDWARD TO THE MOVIE - WHAT THE F!!!! I mean I could understand adding more Edward if this was New Moon, but READ THE F'ing BOOK GUYS - EDWARD IS UMMM LIKE MAIN CHARACTER in ECLIPSE START TO FINISH!!!! And he is having to add more Edward -ummm hello that right there is a HUGE RED FLAG if you ask me! So, we may be jumping the gun YELLING & SCREAMING at Summit on this one! SUMMIT may be jumping in to SAVE THIS SHIP! BUT YES, I absolutely agree that this is why we haven't seen a trailer, teasers, clips, etc.! I saw someone say last night why didn't they go after a big name editor -well there isn't time to now!!!!! I have a feeling Stephenie Meyers pulled in the reins as well! And if so, GOOD FOR HER! Don't go f'ing with her Vampires!!!!! SO THAT's MY TAKE!!!!!

Twilightus
www.twitter.com/twilightus

30 said...

I agree also Mandy, this is ridiculous. Summit new what type of director DS was, and his team. I assume, again this is all to make it fluffier for the tweens. SKUMmit are amateurs, who just got lucky with the series. I honestly at this point only support this for the actors.

Kim said...

I agree with your point of view. I really am not happy that they brought the old TW editor on board bc I didn't think TW was that great. I really hope Summit doesn't eff up the whole movie.

QuiltNut Creations said...

this scares the crap out of me! don't screw this up Summit!

Echo said...

geez if there's another freaking bambi scene in eclipse i'd have to bang my head against a wall.

maybe it's because something leaked and that's where they figure it leaked from? GAH!!!! NO MILEY!!!! I WANT ACTION!!! NO BAMBI!!! NO trotting in a field. WTF VAMPIRES DON'T TROT THEY FREAKING RUN!

eclipse is by far my fave of the series...they better pull their crap together soon!

I don't know how to unlink this blog stuff said...

I dont understand why they cant just have the one editor change some things and try to work in other points. I mean I think it sucks that they dont trust the person the director chose to edit the film, feels like they are taking away some of David Slade's power as well. Which if you didnt think he could do it why offer it in the first place. I was excited about him as director and everything that came with it. I was excited for a big fight scene, I just hope everything turns out wonderful and there is no awkward editing like in twilight.

LoCullen said...

i'm 1000% agree w/u girl, Summit it's making my nerves go higher, i just can't understand why they do this!!!! we're barely 4 months from the official release of Eclipse and by this hight last year from New Moon we already had a teaser and some offical pics and posters, and w/ Eclipse we've almost nothing, i love Summit and i love The Twilight saga, but Summit really gotta focus and give us something, before we turn to watch something else and forget about Eclipse. Z

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to give Summit the benefit of the doubt here, that they're stepping in with the new editor because they saw perhaps the film wasn't heading where the *fans* want it to go . . since we the *fans* are what's really running this Twilight machine. We're the ones buying the tickets, buying the merchandise, buying the dvds ... I was a bit worried about David Slade taking the helm . . I still can't sit thru his 30 days of Night movie . . I'm praying it all works out. Otherwise I fear Summit will have a whole lot of *newborn fans* on their a**!!

Caroline M. said...

Think there was a definite meeting of the minds between Summit, Stephenie Meyer and David Slade. The first director's cut was shown on Jan.27 and 'more Edward' added on Feb.6 then the announcement of a new editor on Mar.3 definitely not good news for 'Eclipse' which is making me very nervous and actually a lot perturbed because it's my favourite book of the series. Having read the script or at least a draft of it, how can the movie be this far off the mark? I hope that on June 30, we will look back at our comments and breathe a sigh of relief when the movie turns out great *keeping fingers & toes crossed*.

RachelxMichelle said...

I really hope they don't ruin it. I'm already losing hope in Breaking Dawn.