Sunday, September 20, 2009

Peter Facinelli Uses Twitter to Change the World

MSNBC interviews Peter Facinelli regarding how he has turned Twitter into an outreach for various charities that he supports:

“Facinelli: That’s the hard part. For me, I go and I see these videos and people bring them to my attention. That motivates me to get involved. The hard part is getting this information out to people so that it moves them in a way where they can get involved. The Affliction people came to me and told me about this woman’s son and I said right away, “Lets do something for her son, for her cause.” Getting the information out there and being able to connect with people is the difficult part.

Maybe somebody doesn’t have that connection toward those particular charities and you can’t force your charity down someone’s throat. They won’t respond to it. Some people will. But that is the great thing about being able to reach a mass amount of people. If you can reach 500,000 people, some of those people will be able to connect with what you are saying.

But you have to be careful, too. Twitter, you can’t use as a soapbox either, it turns people off. It’s a fine line. It should be entertaining, but it also has the power to be utilized for something good. That’s what I’m trying to do … skirt that fine line of being able to do both.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Facinelli: My hope is that whoever reads this article gets involved in some way, in whatever charities that affect them or is personal to them. There are a lot of things out there that need our help and it’s a lot easier to turn our back and say, “I can’t make a difference.” Individually you can, when you come together. Every person does count. Sometimes as an individual you feel like you don’t. As this Twitter bit kind of proved, every individual does count.”

I think it's great how involved Peter is. Yesterday, for example, Peter tweeted that [after a busy week] he filmed Saturday then flew to NYC to an autograph signing for Alex's Lemonade!

[via Twilight Lexicon]

No comments: