Monday, May 23, 2011

Ed Westwick Cast as Tybalt in new Romeo & Juliet


First Showing shares:

Ed Westwick is set to play Tybalt in a new adaptation of Romeo and Juliet from Italian director Carlo Carlei which already has True Grit star Hailee Steinfeld as the titular female lead in the tragic romance. For those who haven’t dealt with the Shakespeare play in school, or seen any of the various film versions, Tybalt is Lady Capulet’s nephew and the arch rival of Romeo, which does not bode well for him.

This pleases me.... I have always loved Romeo & Juliet, in fact, as a teen my friend and I went to the theatre numerous times to see the Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes version... then when it went to the cheap theatre we literally went after school every chance we got (even DURING school hours tee hee bad Mandy!)


I really am a fan of Shakespeare as a whole and I love when they remake his stuff. What I really liked about Baz Luhrmann's 1996 version was that it was modern music, sets, props, but the old language... It captivated me as a rebellious teen and stuck with me. I am an English Literature geek and majored in it at University.... Casting young, hip actors will revive the classic tale and I can't wait to see who they choose for young Romeo opposite Hailee Steinfeld as Juliet.


Ed Westwick as Tybalt will be awesome.

[First Showing]

1 comment:

Jaymes805 said...

I just gasp'ed outloud when I saw this in my blogger feed. LOOOOOVE Ed Westwick with all of my heart and soul. He's my numero 3 (Jackson Rob and Ed). He will make an amazing, amazing Tybalt!!! And I adore Romeo and Juliet. I was just thinking how I need to watch the 96 version again. It also had a great soundtrack as well. :) Thanks for the info!