Sunday, June 10, 2012

Snow White & The Huntsman (SWATH) Review

I saw Snow White and the Hunstmand tonight, i know I am late to the party, but I went and saw Cosmopolis and SWATH tonight as a RObsten movie night ha ha!

SWATH visuals were absolutely stunning. The castle, the dark forest, the fairy forest, the snow, the small village of women, everything was so beautifully cinematic! Stunning!

The acting was good. I was worried, not going to lie, but it wasn't disappointing.

I need to say it, I am sorry, I thought Kristen might blow it. I had heard mixed reviews and expected the worse. My issue is that every role Kristen plays (almost) she pays herself. I always say how Kristen Stewart plans an awesome Kristen Stewart - sorry.... As Snow White... well, she had the look, beautiful! She also had the wardrobe, fabulous hair and costumes in the entire movie. And, this is a massive compliment, I only thought of her as Kristen like, three times... or so...

The poison scene felt like the venom bite from James in Twilight, the death lying in the bed awaiting resurrection scene felt like Breaking Dawn Part 1 Bella awaiting the venom to revive her as a vampire.

Lastly, she barely spoke until her 'rally the troops' speech at the end, which I thought was well done but others in my theatre giggled... ah well.

But despite these connections, even distractions, I thought Kristen Stewart was really good. She looked stunning and the little girl who played the younger her was amazing!

Chris Hemsworth, where have you been my whole life? WOW! He is so hot! I mean, I already knew this, but - wow! Huntsman Hottie!

I thought Charlize Theron was the super star of this film. She was just perfect! Along with the make up and costumes, she looked and played the part of the evil queen to a tee.

My most favourite parts of the film were the setting and visuals. The dark forest haunted me, the fairy forest was so magical, it reminded me of Labyrinth or Narnia or Legend. So stunning.

The storyline was predictable being that the Snow White tale has been told numerous times, but even so, kept me interested. There were lot's of little bits added to enhance the story... 8 dwarves, the town of "ugly" women, the queens brother, and so on.

I know they have thought to make this a series, though I am not sure what story they would tell as it ends with fairly solid closure.... I guess you never know.

I loved the movie, I plan to take my husband and daughter to go see it with me again :)

2 comments:

miss tejota said...

I haven't seen it yet. I'm ashamed I haven't because I'm a huge fan of the director Rupert Sanders. Loved the review.

SpunkyBookworm said...

I'm surprised you thought it ended w/ a closing. I thought it had all the appearance of sequel. However, I loved the ending, and I won't spoil it, but I have my reasons. She did a great rally the troops! I still think she plays Kristen, but I LOVE Kristen. My first experience w/ her was Speak, and I was so moved that I never forgot her, so my first impression of her still sticks. :D